#123forEquity Pledge to Act
- TAKE THE PLEDGE - Pledge to achieve the three areas of the Call to Action within the next 12 months.
- TAKE ACTION – Implement strategies that are reflected in your strategic plan and supported by your board and leadership. Provide quarterly updates on progress to AHA and your board in order to track progress nationally.
- TELL OTHERS – Achieve the goals and be recognized. Tell your story and share your learnings with others in conference calls and other educational venues including social media to accelerate progress collectively.
A National Call to Action to Eliminate Health Disparities
In 2011, the American College of Healthcare Executives, American Hospital Association, Association of American Medical Colleges, Catholic Health Association of the United States, and America’s Essential Hospitals stood together in a call to action to eliminate health care disparities.
Our focus is on:
- increasing the collection and use of race, ethnicity and language preference data;
- increasing cultural competency training; and
- increasing diversity in governance and leadership.
Then, as now, we believe that addressing disparities is no longer just about morality, ethics and social justice: It is essential for performance excellence and improved community health. To expand on this project we recently released goals and milestones within each of the core areas. This is an important step and one we are truly proud of as representatives of the hospital and health care field.
We also know that we cannot, nor would we try, to do this alone. Our members, frontline caregivers and those in health care are leading the way and want to hear from you on what you are doing to eliminate health care disparities and promote diversity. We are actively seeking input from the health care field on best practices and tools so that we can disseminate and promote their work.
This site features resources and case studies collected from the field. To submit yours, email EquityOfCare@aha.org.
Recent Blog Entry
Reflections on Equity of Care
December 14, 2015
December can be a time of reflection. As I think about my time with the American Hospital Association, one of the more exciting projects was the National Call to Action to Eliminate Health Care Disparities. Those on this site are aware of the history: formed in 2011 with four other national health care organizations with a simple, yet bold goal of providing equitable care to all. It has evolved, as with any project, into the #123forequity pledge campaign. With the full support of our new leadership team, I know we are entering an exciting period of progress. Read More
- Congratulations to the 2015 Equity of Care Award Winners!
- Read Six New Case Studies on Diversity in Health Care: Examples from the Field
- Equity of Care is featured as a gatefold in Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine and an ad in Black Enterprise Magazine.
- Click here for our latest eNewsletter. To register to receive the newsletter by email, click here.