American Hospital Association #123forEquity Campaign
A National Call to Action to Eliminate Health Disparities
In 2011, the American College of Healthcare Executives, American Hospital Association, Association of American Medical Colleges, Catholic Health Association of the United States, and America’s Essential Hospitals stood together in a call to action to eliminate health care disparities.
Our focus is on:
- increasing the collection and use of race, ethnicity and language preference data;
- increasing cultural competency training; and
- increasing diversity in governance and leadership.
Now, more than ever we believe that addressing disparities is no longer just about morality, ethics and social justice. Achieving health equity is essential for performance excellence and improved community health.
We cannot, nor would we try, to do this alone. We invite you, our members, frontline caregivers and health care leaders nationwide to tell us what you are doing to eliminate health care disparities and promote diversity within your organizations. We need your input on health care best practices and tools for establishing equitable care so that we can disseminate and promote your work.
Where to start?
- TAKE THE PLEDGE - Pledge to achieve the three areas of the National Call to Action within the next 12 months.
- TAKE ACTION – Implement strategies that are reflected in your strategic plan and supported by your board and leadership. Provide quarterly updates on progress to AHA and your board in order to track progress nationally.
- TELL OTHERS – Achieve the goals and be recognized. Tell your story and share your learnings with others in conference calls and other educational venues including social media to accelerate progress collectively.
This site features resources and case studies collected from the field to assist your organization in its journey.
CLICK HERE to download the #123forEquity Pledge Update Form to submit your own success stories.
For assistance, please contact Sharon Allen, senior executive director of the Institute for Diversity in Health Management, at email@example.com or by phone at (312) 422-3722.
Recent Blog Entry
Equity of Care and Diversity are a Priority
June 24, 2016
- Congratulations to the 2016 Equity of Care Award Winners!
- Read Six New Case Studies on Diversity in Health Care: Examples from the Field
- Equity of Care is featured as a gatefold in Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine and an ad in Black Enterprise Magazine.
- Click here for our latest eNewsletter. To register to receive the newsletter by email, click here.