- Equity of Care: A Toolkit for Eliminating Health Care Disparities - This toolkit is a user-friendly “how-to” guide to help accelerate the elimination of health care disparities and ensure hospital leadership reflect the communities they serve.
- 2013 Diversity and Disparities: A Benchmark Study of U.S. Hospitals - The survey results highlight that, while more work needs to be done, advancements are being made in key areas that can promote equitable care, such as collecting demographic data, providing cultural competency training and increasing diversity in leadership and governance.
INCREASING THE COLLECTION OF RACE, ETHNICITY, AND LANGUAGE PREFERENCE DATA
- A Framework for Stratifying Race, Ethnicity and Language
- Ask Every Patient: REAL – Interactive Course on Race, Ethnicity and Language
- Health Research and Educational Trust Disparities Toolkit
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Health Care: A Targeted Action Plan for Academic Medical Centers (PDF)
- Improving Quality and Achieving Equity: A Guide for Hospital Leaders
- American Society of Healthcare Risk Management Equity of Care Assessment Tool
- Finding Answers. Responding to Culture: Beyond Cultural Competence Training
- SAMHSA: Treatment Improvement Protocol for Improving Cultural Competence
- Implementing CLAS Standards and Improving Cultural Competency and Language Access: A Practical Toolkit
- Religious and Cultural Competence: Curricula for Medical Educators
- Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training (TACCT)
- Building a Culturally Competent Organization: The Quest for Equity in Health Care
- MedEdPORTAL: Teaching materials, assessment tools, and faculty development resources
- The Joint Commission. Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals
- Best Practices for Building Leadership Diversity Programs - Table that features best practices and case examples for building leadership diversity programs, including mentoring programs, partnerships with educational groups and internal diversity committees.
- Rainbow Healthcare Leaders Association - Enhancing the success of LGBT healthcare executives and promoting high-quality healthcare for LGBT individuals and their families.
- Diversity Engagement Survey - In collaboration with the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) and DataStar, the AAMC announces the release of the Diversity Engagement Survey. The DES is 22 items long and can be administered to students, faculty, and staff. There is a minimal response burden, and the rich analyses will allow institutions to develop a meaningful inclusion scorecard that characterizes their progress toward creating an inclusive work environment.
- Diversity 3.0: A Necessary Systems Upgrade - from the Academic Medicine Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Commentary from Marc A Nivet, Ed.D. who is chief diversity officer, Diversity Policy and Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, D.C.
- Achieving Health Equity Through Inclusion and Innovation - presentation from Marc A Nivet, Ed.D. who is chief diversity officer, Diversity Policy and Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, D.C. at the 2010 AAMC Annual Meeting. This link includes a PDF of his slides and video recording of his presentation.
- Facts and Figures Data Series - biannual reports on diversity in the physician workforce and in medical education from AAMC.
- Striving Toward Excellence: Faculty Diversity in Medical Education from AAMC— The report "presents an evolutionary paradigm to increase and support faculty diversity that calls on learning institutions "to develop programs not based solely on the current lack of diversity but rather to eradicate inhibitors of institutional excellence." Registration with AAMC required.
- Roadmap to Diversity: Integrating Holistic Review Practices into Medical School Admission Processes from AAMC —designed to help admission deans, staff, and committees at medical schools develop and integrate holistic review practices into their student selection processes. Registration with AAMC required.
- Institute for Diversity in Health Managment
- ACHE Diversity Resources
- 2015 Quality & Equity Roadmap Storyboards -28 Storyboards on initiatives to increase quality and equity of care
- Diversity in Health Care: Examples from the Field - Case studies from CHRISTUS Health, Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, Main Line Health, NYU Lutheran, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Rush University Medical Center
- MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital - Providing Care for the Underserved
- Novant Health - Diversity Action Committees
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - Leadership Diversity Initiatives
- Lehigh Valley Health Network - Cultural Competency Initiatives
- Meridian Health, New Jersey - Cultural Competency Education
- Increasing Supplier Diversity in Health Care - This Equity of Care guide provides action steps and case studies about developing a supplier diversity program.
- America’s Essential Hospitals- Health Equity Principles - These board-approved principles, recently developed by the association’s policy advisory committee, demonstrate essential hospitals’ responsibility to promote equity of care and our commitment to this issue.
- Diversity in the Physician Workforce: Facts & Figures 2014 - Complied by the Association of American Medical Colleges, this report provides detailed statistical information on the demographics and practice patterns of the physician workforce that graduated from U.S. M.D.-granting medical schools as well as trending information for select topics.
- Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services- Advancing Health with CLAS - To help organizations better serve the increasingly diverse U.S. population, the HHS Office of Minority Health has released enhanced National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care.
- Condensed Blueprint for Advancing and Sustaining CLAS Policy and Practice - Compiled by the New Jersey Department of Health Office of Minority and Multicultural Health.
- Holistic Admissions in the Health Professions - This Report from the Urban Universities for HEALTH examines findings from the first nationwide study of the impact and use of holistic review for students pursuing careers in the health professions.
- AHA Health Equity Webcast - Hosted by AHA Executive Vice President Rick Pollack, this June 2014 webcast focused on diversity management and health equity in hospitals and health systems, including best practices from University Hospitals in Cleveland. In addition, the Institute for Diversity in Health Management shared survey results from “Diversity and Disparities: A Benchmarking Study of U.S. Hospital.”
- Exploring Unconscious Bias in Academic Medicine - In this video interview, Dr. Marc Nivet and Howard Ross discuss how and why diversity efforts plateau at institutions, what role unconscious bias plays in these situations, and how to mitigate unconscious bias to increase the success of diversity initiatives. Howard Ross is the Founder & Chief Learning Officer of Cook Ross and author of Reinventing Diversity: Transforming Organizational Community to Strengthen People, Purpose and Performance.
- The Enhanced National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care (the National CLAS Standards) - are intended to advance health equity, improve quality, and help eliminate health care disparities by providing a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services. Adoption of these Standards will help advance better health and health care in the United States.
- Journal of Healthcare Management: Increasing Diversity in Governance and Management - The March/April issue of the American College of Healthcare Executives’ Journal of Healthcare Management is the first in a series looking at factors that impact health care disparities. The first is by Thomas C. Dolan, PhD, FACHE, CAE, president and CEO of ACHE and looks at programs in place to promote diversity in governance and management.
- The Role of the Chief Diversity Officer in Academic Health Center - A monograph detailing best practices, competencies and compensation data on CDOs. This was co-authored by AHA's Institute for Diversity in Health Management.
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012 - This is the latest n a series of databooks which provides information on race and ethnicity and gender in medical education, as well as medical and health profession pipelines.
- The Income Divide in Health Care: How the Affordable Care Act Will Help Restore Fairness to the U.S. Health System —from The Commonwealth Fund
- Eliminating Health Care Disparities: Implementing the National Call to Action Using Lessons Learned— This guide looks at nine hospitals and health systems and summarizes each organization's key successes toward providing equity in care in one of the three areas: increasing the collection of race, ethnicity, and language preference data, increasing cultural competency training for clinicians and support staff, or increasing diversity in governance and management.
- Caring for Vulnerable Populations — from the American Hospital Association’s Committee on Research
The committee examined emerging hospital-centered practices in effective care coordination for vulnerable populations, focusing the examples on the critical “dual eligible” population - individuals eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
- Collection of Language Data and Services Provided by Health Plans in the American Journal of Managed Care.
The objective of this study was to describe health plan efforts to collect language data from its members, provide language services, and improve the provision of culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS).
- Achieving Equity in Health —Health Affairs/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health Policy Brief Series
- Ensuring Equity: A Post-Reform Framework to Achieve High Performance Health Care for Vulnerable Populations—The Commonwealth Fund