INCREASING THE COLLECTION OF RACE, ETHNICITY, AND LANGUAGE PREFERENCE DATA
- Health Research and Educational Trust Disparities Toolkit
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Health Care: A Targeted Action Plan for Academic Medical Centers (PDF)
- Hospitals in Pursuit of Excellence - Health Care Equity Topic Section
- Improving Quality and Achieving Equity: A Guide for Hospital Leaders
INCREASING CULTURAL COMPETENCY TRAINING
- SAMHSA: Treatment Improvement Protocol for Improving Cultural CompetenceNEW
- Implementing CLAS Standards and Improving Cultural Competency and Language Access: A Practical Toolkit
- Religious and Cultural Competence: Curricula for Medical Educators
- Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training (TACCT)
- Building a Culturally Competent Organization: The Quest for Equity in Health Care
- MedEdPORTAL: Teaching materials, assessment tools, and faculty development resources
- The Joint Commission. Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals
INCREASING DIVERSITY IN GOVERNANCE AND LEADERSHIP
- Rainbow Healthcare Leaders Association: Enhancing the success of LGBT healthcare executives and promoting high-quality healthcare for LGBT individuals and their families.
- Diversity Engagement Survey - In collaboration with the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) and DataStar, the AAMC announces the release of the Diversity Engagement Survey. The DES is 22 items long and can be administered to students, faculty, and staff. There is a minimal response burden, and the rich analyses will allow institutions to develop a meaningful inclusion scorecard that characterizes their progress toward creating an inclusive work environment.
- Diversity 3.0: A Necessary Systems Upgrade from the Academic Medicine Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Commentary from Marc A Nivet, Ed.D. who is chief diversity officer, Diversity Policy and Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, D.C.
- Achieving Health Equity Through Inclusion and Innovation presentation from Marc A Nivet, Ed.D. who is chief diversity officer, Diversity Policy and Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, D.C. at the 2010 AAMC Annual Meeting. This link includes a PDF of his slides and video recording of his presentation.
- Facts and Figures Data Series biannual reports on diversity in the physician workforce and in medical education from AAMC.
- Striving Toward Excellence: Faculty Diversity in Medical Education from AAMC— The report "presents an evolutionary paradigm to increase and support faculty diversity that calls on learning institutions "to develop programs not based solely on the current lack of diversity but rather to eradicate inhibitors of institutional excellence." Registration with AAMC required.
- Roadmap to Diversity: Integrating Holistic Review Practices into Medical School Admission Processes from AAMC —designed to help admission deans, staff, and committees at medical schools develop and integrate holistic review practices into their student selection processes. Registration with AAMC required.
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- ACHE Diversity Resources
- Meridian Health, New Jersey NEW - Cultural Competency Education
- Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services- Advancing Health with CLAS NEW- To help organizations better serve the increasingly diverse U.S. population, the HHS Office of Minority Health has released enhanced National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care.
- Condensed Blueprint for Advancing and Sustaining CLAS Policy and Practice NEW- Compiled by the New Jersey Department of Health Office of Minority and Multicultural Health.
- Holistic Admissions in the Health Professions NEW- This Report from the Urban Universities for HEALTH examines findings from the first nationwide study of the impact and use of holistic review for students pursuing careers in the health professions.
- AHA Health Equity Webcast - Hosted by AHA Executive Vice President Rick Pollack, this June 2014 webcast focused on diversity management and health equity in hospitals and health systems, including best practices from University Hospitals in Cleveland. In addition, the Institute for Diversity in Health Management shared survey results from “Diversity and Disparities: A Benchmarking Study of U.S. Hospital.”
- Exploring Unconscious Bias in Academic Medicine - In this video interview, Dr. Marc Nivet and Howard Ross discuss how and why diversity efforts plateau at institutions, what role unconscious bias plays in these situations, and how to mitigate unconscious bias to increase the success of diversity initiatives. Howard Ross is the Founder & Chief Learning Officer of Cook Ross and author of Reinventing Diversity: Transforming Organizational Community to Strengthen People, Purpose and Performance.
- The Enhanced National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care (the National CLAS Standards) - are intended to advance health equity, improve quality, and help eliminate health care disparities by providing a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services. Adoption of these Standards will help advance better health and health care in the United States.
- Journal of Healthcare Management: Increasing Diversity in Governance and Management - The March/April issue of the American College of Healthcare Executives’ Journal of Healthcare Management is the first in a series looking at factors that impact health care disparities. The first is by Thomas C. Dolan, PhD, FACHE, CAE, president and CEO of ACHE and looks at programs in place to promote diversity in governance and management.
- The Role of the Chief Diversity Officer in Academic Health Center - A monograph detailing best practices, competencies and compensation data on CDOs. This was co-authored by AHA's Institute for Diversity in Health Management.
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012 - This is the latest n a series of databooks which provides information on race and ethnicity and gender in medical education, as well as medical and health profession pipelines.
- Awareness of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities— from The Office of Minority Health
- The Income Divide in Health Care: How the Affordable Care Act Will Help Restore Fairness to the U.S. Health System —from The Commonwealth Fund
- Eliminating Health Care Disparities: Implementing the National Call to Action Using Lessons Learned— This guide looks at nine hospitals and health systems and summarizes each organization's key successes toward providing equity in care in one of the three areas: increasing the collection of race, ethnicity, and language preference data, increasing cultural competency training for clinicians and support staff, or increasing diversity in governance and management.
- Caring for Vulnerable Populations — from the American Hospital Association’s Committee on Research
The committee examined emerging hospital-centered practices in effective care coordination for vulnerable populations, focusing the examples on the critical “dual eligible” population - individuals eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
- Collection of Language Data and Services Provided by Health Plans in the American Journal of Managed Care.
The objective of this study was to describe health plan efforts to collect language data from its members, provide language services, and improve the provision of culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS).
- Achieving Equity in Health —Health Affairs/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health Policy Brief Series
- Ensuring Equity: A Post-Reform Framework to Achieve High Performance Health Care for Vulnerable Populations—The Commonwealth Fund